Thursday, January 19, 2012

Very Special Butterflies


I have been wanting to experiment with this dimensional technique and I though these butterflies were perfect!  So I created a swarm/rabble/lek of butterflies.  (I looked those words up. Aren't those strange and harsh terms for this beautiful group of butterflies?)


It's so easy to create this very dimensional grouping.  I've also seen it done with snowflakes which is absolutely lovely.  Simply stamp with white ink and another color ink (I went for tone on tone.)  Let it dry.  Then white emboss the top layer. You get so much dimension for these simple steps!

This card is for a very special young lady.  She's in fourth grade and for most of her life she has had to deal with the fact that her little sister has been through three full episodes of chemo.  I have a card for her sister too, but I never want to forget what big sister is experiencing.  The whole family could use your prayers as this time around is particularly intense.

I actually started out in a different direction for this group of butterflies...a single strip on a birthday card.  But in the midst of putting that card together, I realized that the look of the butterflies was EXACTLY what I wanted for this little girl - cute, but not cutesy...and I wanted a bigger group of them for her.  But I do like the first card so wanted to share it also.



  • Stamps: Sweet 'n Sassy Polka Dot Silhouettes, Love from Rhubarb (You are Special), Happy Birthdays
  • Paper: Papertrey Ink Hibiscus Burst, Stampin' Up Melon Mambo
  • Ink: Colorbox Frost White, Versamark, Papertrey Hibiscus Burst
  • Accessories: Martha Stewart Butterfly Punch, Stampin' Up punches: oval, scalloped oval, scalloped border, Papertrey Hibiscus ribbon, Baker's Twine from The Twinery, white embossing powder


11 comments:

  1. What a lovely card Kim! Perfect for this young girl. My thoughts are with her sister, and the whole family. Love that technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these are so pretty! I think you chose well for your young friend! I can see that a little girl would just love this. The butterfly strip on the white card is so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely technique. Must have a go sometime. Two beautiful cards, love all the pink. Best wishes to the family. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great technique Kim - two beatiful cards. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two fabulous cards Kim. Your "big sister" one is very sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly does give the illusion of a swarm of butterflies.... I never knew they could be a rabble!!!
    Two beautiful cards for two deserving young girls:)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous technique! It looks like it took a whole lot more work than what you described. I might have to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, I love both versions of this card but I think the first is my favorite...just amazing layers, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely, Kim! I do LOVE both ... can't decide which is the nicest! Such a pretty technique! Doe it have a name? Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful, Kim! Love all that pink! :) I hadn't seen this technique before and now I'm going to have to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two stunning cards, what a fabulous technique! Gorgeous in pink, I love thes dotty butterflies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!